As commonly social insects, ants form large colonies in a variety of nesting locations composed of many members. For survival, ant colonies rely heavily on one or more queens that produce the eggs necessary for reproduction. Other members of the colony perform roles, including defending the nest or actively foraging for sources of food. Property owners who encounter these pests in their homes often notice foraging ants moving in unison, forming long "trails."
Typically, during the spring months, homeowners might encounter groups of winged ants congregating in "swarms." These "swarming" ants are capable of taking flight and are responsible for mating and creating new ant colonies. Based on some similarities, property owners sometimes misidentify flying ants as flying termites and vice-versa.
Even in winter, many ant species continue to plague homeowners in our area all winter long. It’s not uncommon to find ants in your kitchen during the winter months in Tennessee.
How to get rid of ants in the house and yard areas? Unfortunately, those who try do-it-yourself home treatment options often experience mediocre results with these types of pests; therefore, seeking assistance from a trained professional is usually the best means of solving these pest-related concerns. An experienced Murfreesboro pest control company employs a team of technicians who receive proper training regarding what attracts ants and the latest techniques for repelling ants.
The Many Types Of Ants That Can Invade Your Home
What are some of the most common ant species in Murfreesboro that local home and business owners will likely encounter on their properties?
- Acrobat ants: As a small ant species that rarely measure longer than 1/8 of an inch long, acrobat ants appear in various colors and are known for maneuvering their abdomen above their body.
- Carpenter ants: Seen in shades of dark brown or black, with a body length ranging from 1/8 to ½ of an inch, carpenter ants will erode wooden structures on a property.
- Odorous house ants: The odorous house ant measures only 1/8 of an ant and will emit a strong odor when crushed.
- Pavement ants: Appearing dark brown or black and measuring roughly 1/8 of an inch, pavement ants often form nests in driveway or sidewalk areas.
- Red imported fire ants: With a reddish-brown appearance, fire ants typically measure no longer than ¼ of an inch long. As an aggressive species, fire ants will deliver a painful sting when they feel threatened.
Ants are a type of pest that is often difficult for local homeowners to completely eliminate unless the nesting location is identified and properly treated.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Ants In My House?
Ants are a type of pest that potentially represents a nuisance and a health risk—for example; experts associate ants with salmonellosis, E.coli infection, and several other health-related problems. Fire ants are problematic in outdoor areas, as they will attack in groups and sting humans or pets.
What Is Attracting Ants To My Property?
Are you struggling with how to prevent ants? The best strategy for avoiding ant intrusions involves limiting access to food sources indoors, such as regularly sweeping up crumbs and never leaving dirty dishes out overnight, and implementing exclusionary measures. Common exclusionary criteria include installing sweeps along exterior doors and repairing damaged window screens.
How To Get Rid Of Ants In Your Lawn
How do I get rid of ants? Property owners throughout Murfreesboro can rely on the local specialists with All-American Pest Control for effective home pest control solutions that we always back with a satisfaction guarantee. Contact our office today for a consultation.