Mosquitoes can hatch from their eggs in a temperature of 50 degrees or more. That means we can see mosquitoes in Murfreesboro and the Greater Nashville area as late as the end of November. Though mosquitoes are most active from May to October, mosquito control can be done all year long. If you're looking to make your yard a much nicer place to be or you want to do something that will help you protect your family from mosquito-borne diseases, it is never too late to implement the following mosquito-control ideas.
The very first step is to take personal precautions.
- Apply mosquito repellent to your skin or clothing to resist mosquitoes. Repellents with DEET work best. If you'd like a more natural solution try a repellent with oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Avoid going out in the morning or evening when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear brighter colors to make it harder for mosquitoes to lock onto you.
- If you'll be sitting or lounging in one location in your yard, use a fan to create a breeze that will help keep mosquitoes from landing on you.
There are many things you can do to reduce mosquito populations and keep them out of the house.
- Make sure all your screens are in good working condition.
- Reduce standing water on your property. Without standing water, mosquitoes are not able to reproduce. Remove containers that hold water, fix gutters and make sure rainwater is being channeled down and away from your home, turn kiddie pools over when they're not being used, trim tree branches to allow the sun to dry areas of your perimeter that stay damp, and apply similar strategies to keep things dry.
- If you have a bug zapper, consider retiring in. While bug zappers are good at luring mosquito into a yard and killing male mosquitoes. They have been found to be ineffective at killing female mosquitoes, which are the ones that bite us.
At All-American Pest Control, we offer Perimeter PLUS for mosquito control. This pest control service targets mosquito-resting sites and breaks the cycle of reproduction in your yard. It also comes with routine treatments to guard against over 47 of Tennessee's most common pests. Fall is a good time to get started. While mosquito season may be winding down, our homes are about to get invaded by overwintering pests. Get your pest protection in place today by investing in Perimeter PLUS.