Have you ever been mowing your lawn and thought that the mower was throwing rocks out, only to discover that you were being stung by wasps? You're not alone. This happens all the time in our Tennessee service area. And the wasp that is most often the culprit is the yellow jacket. These aggressive insects sometimes build their nests in the ground and the vibrations from a mower can cause them to swarm. Before you know it, you can have dozens of yellow jackets swarming around you and stinging you multiple times. If this is a nightmare you'd like to avoid, here are some tips that will help!
- If you grill or picnic in your backyard, be sure to store food properly when you're done. Yellow jackets eat meats and sweets, and any leftover food and drink that is left out can lure them into your yard.
- Yellow jackets can find many things to eat in trash cans. Make sure your trash cans are sealed and are cleaned routinely. This will keep your garbage from attracting wasps and other pests.
- Be careful to not leave your drinks outside. A can of soda or ice tea will draw lots of attention from yellow jackets, as well as from other pests. Also consider using containers that have a lid or a screw-top to keep yellow jackets from crawling inside unattended drinks.
- Don't leave pet food outside. There are many pests that will eat dog or cat food, including yellow jackets.
- Yellow jackets eat many bugs that crawl around in flower gardens and in ornamental landscaping. If you reduce the bug populations around your home, yellow jackets will have less reason to come into your yard.
Proactive yellow jacket control is the best way to avoid getting stung. Any yellow jacket nests should be dealt with long before there are enough wasps hiding in a hole in your yard to swarm you when you mow the lawn. If you prefer to do it yourself, please take precaution.
Wear thick protective clothing and sturdy shoes that seal around your feet.
Take practical measures, like putting rubber bands around the bottoms of your pants, to prevent yellow jackets from finding an opening to get to your skin.
During removal, be sure to keep pets and young children inside the house or far away from the location of the nest.
Professional Nest Removal
At All-American Pest Control, we remove individual nests for Bellevue property owner and provide ongoing protection from stinging pests. Whether you need a one-time fix or ongoing protection, start right here with a FREE evaluation!