Fleas are frustrating pests. One of the reasons they're so frustrating is that they can be extremely difficult to get rid of. Many of the DIY flea control ideas on the internet do little to control fleas and can leave you feeling exhausted. It can even be difficult for a licensed professional to eliminate fleas in a structure. There are many factors involved and some homes are more difficult to treat than others. If you're at your wits' end and you're ready to invest in a professional flea treatment for your home, there are a few steps you should consider taking to ensure the success of your treatment and long-lasting results.
Flea Treatment Checklist
- Purchase a cheap flea collar. Put pieces of the collar in a new vacuum bag. Then, on the day before your service, vacuum all your rugs, drapes, and furniture. Vacuum hardwood floors and tiled floors, paying close attention to cracks, gaps, grooves and floor-wall junctures. This can dislodge flea eggs, larvae, and pupae. When you're done, be sure to dispose of the vacuum bag outside of your home.
- Remove and store toys, boxes, clothing and other items that are on the floor or under the beds.
- Dispose of pet bedding or put it through the wash and dry it for 30 minutes. Keep in mind that your pet probably uses more than what you've provided for a bed. Your cat might like to sleep in your kid's duffel bag or in a box left on the floor in the dining room. Your dog might sleep on a sweatshirt you forgot was lying on the floor under your computer desk. Put items in the dryer that can be put in the dryer. If you have an item that can't go in the dryer, put that item outside your home.
- See your veterinarian about flea control products that are appropriate for your pet. Flea and tick collars should be top of your list of products to get.
- Use hot, soapy water to wash areas where your pet lays down, such as a favorite spot near your bed or couch, a window ledge used for watching birds outside, and other raised surfaces that, cat's in particular, like to lie on. Note: do not wash your floors and other surfaces after the treatment because it will wash the product away.
- If you have a freshwater aquarium, turn the pumps off and cover it just before the treatment.
- Take all the bedding off your mattresses and turn mattresses and box springs on their sides. This will allow the products to get all the way around these items. This is especially important if your pets are allowed in the bedrooms of your home.
- Before your treatment day, have your pets treated for fleas.
- Make sure you, your family and your pets are out of the home during the treatment.
- It will take about 2 hours for the treatment material to dry. After that, it will be safe to return to your home.
- For 3 to 4 weeks, leave your thermostat at a warm temperature. Warm temperatures will act as an incubator and fleas will hatch like crazy. This will ensure exposer to the treatment material.
- After the treatment, you'll need to vacuum every other day for 30 days. Fleas that hatch from their eggs after treatment will come into contact with the material used and this will make them sterile. Sucking them into your vacuum will expose them to the flea collars and kill them.
If you're dealing with a frustrating flea infestation in your home, we understand how that can take a toll on you. But you don't have to keep throwing good money after bad and working yourself to death bathing your pets, cleaning your home, and spraying nasty, and often harmful, products on your furniture, beds, and rugs. Let the licensed and experienced service team at All-American Pest Control to rid your Nashville home of fleas. The methods and products we use are highly effective at eliminating fleas, even in homes that are difficult to treat. Our highly trained service professionals understand the habits and habitat preferences of fleas and they know what works to get rid of them. Reach out to us today for immediate assistance. We're here to help.
We're Ready To Help
Request a FREE evaluation or get a quote over the phone.
View Our Home Pest Control Services Offerings
With nearly 60 years of experience in Middle Tennessee, we believe in providing reliable, easy to schedule services that eliminate Tennessee's most persistent, uninvited pests. You can choose general pest control for your home, termite protection or yard treatments for fleas and ticks... or you can bundle these services together to save money and time!
You will love our team! We show up on time with a smile, we follow-up with you until our service exceeds your expectations, we will return in between trips for free by request, and we do what we say we will do! Check out our Google reviews and call us for more information!