Fleas are frustrating pests for Murfreesboro homeowners who have pets. But they can also plague homes that don't have any pets at all. They can be brought in by mice, rats, and other animals. But, before they're brought into your home, they're going to be brought into your yard. Understanding how this works can help you prevent infestations from taking root in your home.
Controlling wildlife is directly connected to the control of fleas. As we head into flea and tick season, it is important to take steps to manage wildlife traffic on your property and around your foundation perimeter. Here are some ways you can do this:
- Make sure all trash bags are put into sealed receptacles. Trash is an attractant for a wide range of animals.
Consider installing a fence around your property. A fence can reduce wildlife traffic in your yard.
- f you have any dogs that recreate outside, and you have not yet created a fenced-in play area, now is the perfect time to do it. A fence will keep many animals from coming into this area and leaving fleas. It will also prevent your dog(s) from exploring your landscaping and picking up fleas.
- Make sure wildlife aren't able to get under your porch, deck, and stairs, or get into your crawlspace.
- If you have a garden or some other food source in your yard, installing fencing can help keep animals out. But bear in mind that the closer a food source is to your home, the more likely it will be for wildlife to deposit fleas in your landscaping, where shade and moisture can protect them till they hop on your pets.
- Mice and rats are drawn to a yard that has clutter. If you have objects stored in your backyard, you're likely to have rodents take advantage of those objects as hiding places.
- Mice and rats use plants and overgrowth as cover. Keeping your lawn trimmed and your landscaping neat can make it less desirable for rodents.
Flea and tick treatments work in many ways to reduce these dangerous pests around your home. And treatments can bolster your defenses if you have a trouble area that is conducive to wildlife activity but you're not able to address it yet.
If you need assistance with professional flea and tick control, remember that the team at All-American Pest Control is here to help. Reach out to us anytime.