Identifying Termites In Hermitage Tennessee
While termites are active year-round, they are most active during the spring and summer months. During warmer months, the reproductive members of the colony will swarm from the nest to find a mate and start new colonies. You may witness termite swarms or see the piles of wings that remain after the swarm. This will often be the first sign that there are termites present and that termite control is needed in your home.
The eastern subterranean termite is the most common termite species found in Hermitage. The workers measure 1/8 – 1/4 of an inch in length and are creamy white in color. The larger reproductive members of the colony are between 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch in length. These termites are rarely seen, but they can do serious damage to your home by feeding on the timber in the structure.
Termites generally live outdoors in a satellite colony and feed on the cellulose of dead wood, including tree stumps, fallen trees, soil, and piles of leaves. The problems begin for homeowners when foraging termites make their way into homes through cracks in foundations.
The Signs Of Termites
Because termites live and travel underground and eat your structural wood from the inside out, it may be months or, in some cases, years before termite damage and infestations are noticed. And while it’s difficult to detect termites in your home, you can look for some tell-tale signs of infestation (besides the swarming activity). These signs include:
- If termites are on your property you will notice their mud tunnels, which are about the width of a pencil, running along drywall or foundations into your home.
- Inside your home, wood surfaces may start to appear weakened, blistered, or splintered. You may also start to notice paint bubbling up on your walls.
- Mud may start appearing on the surface of your structural wood as the termites try to repair holes that they have made in the surface of the wood.
- Wood may sound hollow when it is tapped on or feel “soft”.
- Floors and ceilings may start to appear warped.
Termite Prevention Tips
Termite control in your home can be a difficult task. It’s nearly impossible to find and treat the nesting area of a termite infestation without help from a professional termite exterminator. There are, however, changes you can make around your property to help deter termites from choosing your home for food and nesting purposes:
- Keep mulch, wood debris, or firewood piles away from your home.
- Every spring, rake up the previous year's mulch and replace it with new mulch (this prevents termites from being attracted to the older, rotting mulch.)
- Inspect your foundation and seal any gaps or cracks to help prevent termites from easily entering your home.
- Gutters should be checked to ensure that water is not accumulating around your homes’ foundation.
- Make sure that there is a one-inch gap between the soil and wood part of your building, deck, shed, or other wooden structures on your property.
We're Ready To Help
Call Our Office or Fill Out The Form to Schedule Service Now
Termite Control In Hermitage
If you discover termites on your property or even think there may be a problem, your best course of action is to contact All-American Pest Control.
Our locally owned and operated pest control company offers termite protection that not only eliminates current infestations but also allows for constant monitoring to prevent future invaders from making your home their home.
We are Certified Operators of the Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System. This system not only takes care of foraging termites but completely eliminates the entire colony using bait that prevents the termites from molting, which leads to the death of the entire colony.
The Sentricon® System is a green termite control option and non-invasive; no tunneling, drilling or digging on your property is needed. The bait stations are strategically placed around your property; the workers ingest the bait and transfer it back to the rest of the colony at the nest. The bait stations can remain on your property for years and will be continuously monitored by our trained professionals. This will ensure that any new infestations will be taken care of quickly and before any damage can be done to your property.
Pest Control For Ants, Spiders, Mice And Other Common Pests
All-American Pest Control has been serving the residents and business owners of Middle Tennessee since 1961. We proudly live and work in the area we serve, which means we truly understand the pest problems our customers face every day. Reliability, teamwork, and respect are core values that our employees believe and apply to every service we provide. In addition to the termite control, All-American Pest Control also provides a wide array of residential and commercial pest control services, including:
- Residential Pest Control - For homeowners, we offer perimeter pest control, bed bug elimination, fire ant reduction services, mosquito reduction services, brown recluse spider control, green pest control, and flea and tick yard treatments.
- Commercial Pest Control - For business owners and managers we offer general commercial pest control, termite protection, bed bug control and services for specific business needs.
Contact us today at All-American Pest Control to get detailed information on any of our pest control services.