It can seem strange when millipedes or centipedes get inside your Brentwood home, especially if you have taken the time to go around the outside and seal every entry point you can find. But you have to consider what kind of bug you're trying to keep out. Millipedes and centipedes are capable of climbing vertical surfaces and walking across ceilings. They're also small. A house centipede is about an inch to an inch and a half long and a millipede can be as small as 1/16 of an inch. That means these two pests can squeeze into openings that are hard to see, such as a crack in your foundation wall or a gap in your roofline. While it is certainly a good idea to seal gaps, cracks, and other entry points, sealing your exterior walls just isn't enough to fully exclude these pests. What does it take to keep these bugs out?
Exclusion Tips for Millipedes and Centipedes
- Make sure all of your door sweeps are in good working order. The garage door is a common entry point, so examine it closely.
- Inspect weather stripping on sliding glass doors to make sure damaged bristles don't give entry.
- If you have crawl space vents, consider applying screens to keep these and other bugs out.
- Reduce moisture conditions around your foundation perimeter. Centipedes and millipedes are moisture pests that thrive in damp and humid locations.
- Keep leaves raked up.
- Trim tree branches to allow sunlight to dry your perimeter.
- Inside your home, adding a dehumidifier to humid rooms make these two bugs uncomfortable when they find a way in.
Centipedes and millipedes are experts at getting inside. The only way to fully exclude them is with routine perimeter treatments. These treatments should be performed by a professional. An educated professional knows where to apply control products, what to apply, and when the next application is required, so that your barrier remains effective throughout the year.
If you live in Brentwood, or our Middle Tennessee service area, take a look at Perimeter PLUS from All-American Pest Control. Perimeter PLUS deals with millipedes, centipedes, and over 45 other common pests that get into our Brentwood homes "before" they get in.
Bugs have a way of getting in. Keep them out with a little help from the friendly and experienced professionals at All-American.