When it comes to pests no one ever wants to see in their home, Norway rats rank high on the list. Native to Europe, these rodents are common in North America, and Nashville is no exception. As one of the most destructive pest infestations homeowners can experience, it’s important to know how to recognize when a Norway rat issue could be beginning and take steps for prevention or control before it’s too late.
At All-American Pest Control, we offer customized Norway rat pest control solutions for Nashville homes to help control nuisance pests like Norway rats. We’ve been the premier provider of pest control in Nashville since 1961, and we're here to help. Our service professionals are highly trained and knowledgeable about the habits of Norway rats, how to identify them, and the necessary steps for infestation prevention.
If you suspect or know you have a Norway rat problem, let our pros at All-American Pest Control help. We can provide fast and effective solutions to reclaim your home from a Norway Rat infestation.
Why Norway Rats Invade Nashville Properties
It’s safe to say that no one wants a rat problem in their home. Unfortunately, Norway rats are becoming an increasingly common problem in the Nashville area. To make matters worse, they can be difficult to identify and remove. So why do Norway rats invade homes?
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons:
- Food sources: Norway rats are scavengers, meaning they will eat just about anything they can get their hands on. That includes pet food, garbage, and even human food left out or stored improperly. They are also attracted to standing water sources like pools or ponds and shelters such as wood piles, debris piles, and abandoned buildings. All these factors can attract Norway rats to your property and increase the likelihood of an infestation in your home.
- Shelter: Norway rats are looking for shelter when they enter your home, and this means that any cracks or crevices around windows and doors should be sealed off with caulk or expanding foam insulation. Additionally, it’s important to keep clutter away from the perimeter of your house since this provides cover for rats while they try to gain access to your home.
- Weather conditions: When temperatures outside drop below freezing, Norway rats become desperate for warmth and will seek out any source available - including a cozy spot inside your home. This is particularly true during winter months when cold temperatures have made life especially tough for these rodents; as a result, more of them will be looking for a place to stay warm and dry indoors.
By understanding the factors that attract them, you can better equip yourself with the knowledge you need to protect your home from potential invasions by Norway rats. If you suspect an infestation has already occurred in your home, contact All-American Pest Control.
We provide customized rat control services to help protect your Nashville home from Norway rats. Our service professionals are highly knowledgeable and trained in the habits of Norway rats, so you can trust that we’ll eliminate the issue. Contact us today for more information about our services or to schedule an inspection.
Five Tips For Effective Norway Rat Prevention
No one likes to think about it, but Norway Rats can be found all over the Nashville area. These pesky rodents leave droppings and cause damage to electrical wiring, insulation, and more. Fortunately, there are a few ways you can help prevent Rats from entering your home:
- Seal all cracks and openings: Norway rats can squeeze through extremely small spaces, so it’s important to seal any cracks or openings around your home. Use caulk or steel wool to fill any gaps larger than ¼ inch wide that you find around windows, doors, pipes, and more. This will help deter rodents from getting inside your home.
- Clean up food sources: Keep food sources away from areas where rats may live or pass through by storing food in sealed containers or cabinets. Make sure all garbage cans have tight-fitting lids and keep them away from walls or other surfaces that rats could climb up on. Additionally, keep outdoor areas clean by regularly disposing of pet waste and other debris that might attract rats.
- Trim trees and bushes: Norway rats love climbing trees and bushes near homes as they provide an easy way for them to reach the roofline, where they can gain entry into the home itself. Trimming trees and bushes near your house can reduce their ability to climb and enter the home in this manner.
- Eliminate water sources: Rats need water just like humans do; however, unlike us, they don’t need much of it. To discourage them from taking up residence on your property, eliminate any standing water sources, such as clogged gutters or bird baths near your home. These provide a great source of hydration for rodents looking for shelter nearby.
- Use natural rat repellents: Another great way to keep rats away is by using natural repellents such as peppermint oil or cayenne pepper powder mixed with water in a spray bottle around potential entry points like windowsills and doorways. This will help mask the smell of food from attracting many kinds of rodents, including Norway Rats.
If you do end up encountering an infestation of Norway rats, don’t panic - contact American Pest Control. Our experienced professionals are ready to help you completely get rid of rats in your home. Reach out today to learn more about our services and schedule an inspection. You can trust that American Pest Control has the experience and knowledge to get the job done right. Let us help you take back your home from these pesky rodents.
Easy Rodent Exclusion Tips To Prevent Future Norway Rat Infestations
Norway rats are a common nuisance for many homeowners. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to prevent these pesky rodents from entering your home again. Here are our best tips on excluding Norway rats from your home:
- Seal potential entry points: The most effective way to keep Norway rats out is to seal any potential entry points into your home. This could mean anything from small cracks and crevices in walls and foundations to loose-fitting doors or windows or even gaps in plumbing or electrical lines. Inspecting the exterior of your home for these types of openings is critical for preventing future infestations.
- Inspect the interior of your home: It’s also important to inspect any indoor spaces where Norway rats may be able to enter, including attics, crawl spaces, basements, and garages. You can often overlook these spaces during inspections, so it’s important to take a close look at them if you suspect Norway rat activity within your home. Pay special attention to areas where water pipes or wiring come into contact with walls or floorboards, as these are common entry sites for Norway rats.
- Use rodent-proof materials: Once you’ve identified potential entry points, it’s time to start sealing them. To do this effectively, you will need to use rodent-proof materials like steel wool and caulk. Steel wool is great for filling in small crevices that may be too tight for caulk alone. Make sure to seal all materials tightly so no gaps are left open for rodents to squeeze through. Additionally, keeping trees and bushes trimmed away from the exterior walls of your home will help prevent easy access routes for rodents trying to get inside.
If you have any questions about how best to seal potential entry points into your home or would like more information on preventing future infestations of Norway rats, please don’t hesitate to reach out. At All-American Pest Control, we’re committed to providing the best rodent control in Nashville, and we’re always here to help. Contact us today to learn more.
Call The Professionals At The First Sign Of Rats
If you've seen even one Norway rat in or around your home, it's likely that there are more lurking nearby. Even if you don't spot the rodents themselves, you may notice signs of a rat infestation, such as droppings, gnaw marks, or tracks. In any case, it's essential to contact a pest control professional right away if you suspect a Norway rat infestation in your home. Besides chewing just about anything in their path, these rodents carry diseases. Having a professional inspect your home and set up an effective rodent control plan is the best way to ensure that these pests stay out of your living space for good.
At All-American Pest Control, we understand the importance of keeping Norway rats away from your home. We offer comprehensive pest control services to eliminate existing infestations and prevent future ones. Our family-owned business has provided quality pest control since 1961, so you can trust us to get the job done right. Contact us today for more information on our residential and commercial pest control services in Nashville, and learn how we can help keep Norway rats away from your property.
We're Ready To Help
Call Our Office or Fill Out The Form to Schedule Service Now