A Complete Guide To Silverfish & How To Prevent Them
Are you dealing with silverfish? When these little silver, fish-like bugs start wiggling across the floor of your bathroom or appearing in any room of your home, it can be frustrating for sure. No one likes to share their home with bugs, except maybe an entomologist. But, to be fair, they don't usually have free-roaming bugs, they keep their bugs contained. Entomologists, probably more than anyone, know that bugs don't add anything to the quality of life in a home. Bugs get into things. Bugs damage our belongings and destroy our homes. And they can spread harmful bacteria, diseases, and allergens. Let's take a look a look at silverfish and see how they stack up in these categories.
Usually, when a pest control company says they do chemical treatments to prevent termite damage, they're talking about Termidor. It is a chemical pesticide that not only kills termites, it has a patented transfer effect that uses worker termites to eliminate colonies. While Termidor can certainly get the job done, it comes with a long list of drawbacks.
- In order to create a complete chemical barrier, hundreds of gallons of termiticide must be injected into the soil.
- A chemical treatment requires trenching. The installer will create these trenches in areas where soil abuts the foundation wall. If not done properly, it can leave a gap for termite workers to get through.
- In locations which cannot be trenched, drilling must be done. The installer will drill down through concrete, brick, and other materials in order to insert the injection tool and administer the product.
- Termidor and other termiticides have an odor. If you see a product description that says odorless, it is referring to the ability of termites to smell it. Since you're not a termite, you can disregard this sales pitch. Termiticide has a smell to it.
- Chemicals break down over time. This can leave your home vulnerable--and you won't even know it. You will have to rely on routine visits from your termite controller to catch an infestation that arises from a breach of your defense. And subterranean termites are notoriously difficult to detect, even for a trained professional.
For decades, termiticide applications were the only effective way to guard against termite damage, and some companies still cling to this tried-and-true method.
Termite bait stations
By now, you've probably noticed that we prefer a bait station solution for termite control. Bait is a smarter and more eco-friendly way to protect property from termite damage. It takes into consideration the natural behavior of termites. And, unlike chemicals, it becomes more effective over time.
It is also important to understand that not all bait station solutions are equal. The experts here at All-American Pest Control trust the Sentricon® System with Always Active™ because it has over two decades of real-world success behind it, and it has been the subject of over 70 scientific papers. It is also the only termite product that has earned the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award. Here are some benefits to the Sentricon® with Always Active™.
- Termite activity is difficult to see. Sentricon® with Always Active™ stations make termite detection simple. When termites take the bait, your technician will know. You don't have to rely on a complicated and detailed inspection to know that your property is termite-free.
- Termites WILL take the bait. Sentricon® with Always Active™ bait is scientifically proven to be more interesting to termite workers than wood, which is their primary food source.
- Termites will also take the bait because of their natural behavior patterns. When worker termites find a food source, they do not focus all of their effort on one location. While many workers will get the food that is found, others will continue to search for more. This constant search for food brings them into contact with the bait.
- While chemicals can break down, the bait inside Sentricon® bait stations gets better with age. This doesn't do much to make the system more effective at protecting your property, but it certainly helps to ensure that it doesn't become ineffective over time like termiticides can.
- Sentricon® with Always Active™ is, well, always active. That means you don't have to wait for a technician to see that a bait station has been attacked like some bait systems require. Sentricon® with Always Active™ stations have enough active ingredient to eliminate most termite threats on their own. If your home is attacked by more than one colony and more active ingredient is needed for colony elimination, that's no problem. Your technician will swap cartridges and make sure those colonies are taken down.
Give us a call to learn more about our termite control options today.
We're Ready To Help
Request a FREE evaluation or get a quote over the phone.
View Our Home Pest Control Services Offerings
With nearly 60 years of experience in Middle Tennessee, we believe in providing reliable, easy to schedule services that eliminate Tennessee's most persistent, uninvited pests. You can choose general pest control for your home, termite protection or yard treatments for fleas and ticks... or you can bundle these services together to save money and time!
You will love our team! We show up on time with a smile, we follow-up with you until our service exceeds your expectations, we will return in between trips for free by request, and we do what we say we will do! Check out our Google reviews and call us for more information!